Church of England Daily Prayer - Contemporay - Combined Prayer

Trinity Daily Prayer

A simple Liturgy of the Hours for singing available here.
Resources for the Liturgy stored at: Company of Voices Resources.

Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Readings Wednesday 26th September 2012

Trinity 16
Wednesday of the 25th Week of the Year
Wilson Carlile, founder of the Church Army, 1942

Ember Day

Additional commemorations:

Cosma and Damian (d. ca. 303) martyrs
At the beginning of the fourth century, the doctors Cosma and Damian, who are known in the East as the holy "anagiri," or "unmercenaries," were martyred in Palestine.
According to tradition, they were Arabian natives and practiced the medical profession near Ege, in Cilicia, in a spirit of great charity. They dedicated their entire lives to caring for the ill and accepted no recompense for their work, because they were convinced that disciples of the Lord should not own personal property of any kind.
It was their Christian faith that sustained them in their healing activity, and they insisted upon confessing their faith publicly. For this reason, according to tradition, they fell victim to the emperor Diocletian's persecution and were decapitated in 303.
Later, the Christian emperor Justinian made the cult of these martyrs popular throughout the Christian world, and doctors worldwide took Cosma and Damian as their patron saints.
They were the last saints whose names were added to the Roman Canon. Today's date commemorates the dedication of the sixth-century basilica in the Roman Forum that bears their name.

Daily Eucharistic Lectionary
These notes assume that the Daily Eucharistic Lectionary is used alongside the two year additional Office lectionary (for the Office of Readings) to provide three readings a day for use at Eucharist and Office.

Short text for the day:


Every word of God proves true;
   he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Daily Reflections from Creighton University for today here.
Liturgy Alive prayers and readings here.

First Reading

Proverbs 30:5-9

 5 Every word of God proves true;
   he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
6 Do not add to his words,
   or else he will rebuke you, and you will be found a liar.
 7 Two things I ask of you;
   do not deny them to me before I die:
8 Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
   give me neither poverty nor riches;
   feed me with the food that I need,
9 or I shall be full, and deny you,
   and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
or I shall be poor, and steal,
   and profane the name of my God.

Psalm 119:105-112

Gospel
Luke 9:1-6

9Then Jesus called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, 2and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. 3He said to them, ‘Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money—not even an extra tunic. 4Whatever house you enter, stay there, and leave from there. 5Wherever they do not welcome you, as you are leaving that town shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.’ 6They departed and went through the villages, bringing the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

Additional Office Lectionary


Tobit 4:1-6; 19-21; 5:1-18

Tobit 4:1-5:18
4That same day Tobit remembered the money that he had left in trust with Gabael at Rages in Media, 2and he said to himself, ‘Now I have asked for death. Why do I not call my son Tobias and explain to him about the money before I die?’ 3Then he called his son Tobias, and when he came to him he said, ‘My son, when I die, give me a proper burial. Honour your mother and do not abandon her all the days of her life. Do whatever pleases her, and do not grieve her in anything. 4Remember her, my son, because she faced many dangers for you while you were in her womb. And when she dies, bury her beside me in the same grave.
5 ‘Revere the Lord all your days, my son, and refuse to sin or to transgress his commandments. Live uprightly all the days of your life, and do not walk in the ways of wrongdoing; 6for those who act in accordance with truth will prosper in all their activities. To all those who practise righteousness [7give alms from your possessions, and do not let your eye begrudge the gift when you make it. Do not turn your face away from anyone who is poor, and the face of God will not be turned away from you. 8If you have many possessions, make your gift from them in proportion; if few, do not be afraid to give according to the little you have. 9So you will be laying up a good treasure for yourself against the day of necessity. 10For almsgiving delivers from death and keeps you from going into the Darkness. 11Indeed, almsgiving, for all who practise it, is an excellent offering in the presence of the Most High.
 12 ‘Beware, my son, of every kind of fornication. First of all, marry a woman from among the descendants of your ancestors; do not marry a foreign woman, who is not of your father’s tribe; for we are the descendants of the prophets. Remember, my son, that Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, our ancestors of old, all took wives from among their kindred. They were blessed in their children, and their posterity will inherit the land. 13So now, my son, love your kindred, and in your heart do not disdain your kindred, the sons and daughters of your people, by refusing to take a wife for yourself from among them. For in pride there is ruin and great confusion. And in idleness there is loss and dire poverty, because idleness is the mother of famine.
 14 ‘Do not keep over until the next day the wages of those who work for you, but pay them at once. If you serve God you will receive payment. Watch yourself, my son, in everything you do, and discipline yourself in all your conduct. 15And what you hate, do not do to anyone. Do not drink wine to excess or let drunkenness go with you on your way. 16Give some of your food to the hungry, and some of your clothing to the naked. Give all your surplus as alms, and do not let your eye begrudge your giving of alms. 17Place your bread on the grave of the righteous, but give none to sinners. 18Seek advice from every wise person and do not despise any useful counsel.] 19At all times bless the Lord God, and ask him that your ways may be made straight and that all your paths and plans may prosper. For none of the nations has understanding, but the Lord himself will give them good counsel; but if he chooses otherwise, he casts down to deepest Hades. So now, my child, remember these commandments, and do not let them be erased from your heart.
20 ‘And now, my son, let me explain to you that I left ten talents of silver in trust with Gabael son of Gabrias, at Rages in Media. 21Do not be afraid, my son, because we have become poor. You have great wealth if you fear God and flee from every sin and do what is good in the sight of the Lord your God.’
5Then Tobias answered his father Tobit, ‘I will do everything that you have commanded me, father; 2but how can I obtain the money from him, since he does not know me and I do not know him? What evidence am I to give him so that he will recognize and trust me, and give me the money? Also, I do not know the roads to Media, or how to get there.’ 3Then Tobit answered his son Tobias, ‘He gave me his bond and I gave him my bond. I divided his in two; we each took one part, and I put one with the money. And now twenty years have passed since I left this money in trust. So now, my son, find yourself a trustworthy man to go with you, and we will pay him wages until you return. But get back the money from Gabael.’
4 So Tobias went out to look for a man to go with him to Media, someone who was acquainted with the way. He went out and found the angel Raphael standing in front of him; but he did not perceive that he was an angel of God. 5Tobias said to him, ‘Where do you come from, young man?’ ‘From your kindred, the Israelites,’ he replied, ‘and I have come here to work.’ Then Tobias said to him, ‘Do you know the way to go to Media?’ 6‘Yes,’ he replied, ‘I have been there many times; I am acquainted with it and know all the roads. I have often travelled to Media, and stayed with our kinsman Gabael who lives in Rages of Media. It is a journey of two days from Ecbatana to Rages; for it lies in a mountainous area, while Ecbatana is in the middle of the plain.’ 7Then Tobias said to him, ‘Wait for me, young man, until I go in and tell my father; for I do need you to travel with me, and I will pay you your wages.’ 8He replied, ‘All right, I will wait; but do not take too long.’
 9 So Tobias went in to tell his father Tobit and said to him, ‘I have just found a man who is one of our own Israelite kindred!’ He replied, ‘Call the man in, my son, so that I may learn about his family and to what tribe he belongs, and whether he is trustworthy enough to go with you.’
 10 Then Tobias went out and called him, and said, ‘Young man, my father is calling for you.’ So he went in to him, and Tobit greeted him first. He replied, ‘Joyous greetings to you!’ But Tobit retorted, ‘What joy is left for me any more? I am a man without eyesight; I cannot see the light of heaven, but I lie in darkness like the dead who no longer see the light. Although still alive, I am among the dead. I hear people but I cannot see them.’ But the young man said, ‘Take courage; the time is near for God to heal you; take courage.’ Then Tobit said to him, ‘My son Tobias wishes to go to Media. Can you accompany him and guide him? I will pay your wages, brother.’ He answered, ‘I can go with him and I know all the roads, for I have often gone to Media and have crossed all its plains, and I am familiar with its mountains and all of its roads.’
 11 Then Tobit said to him, ‘Brother, of what family are you and from what tribe? Tell me, brother.’ 12He replied, ‘Why do you need to know my tribe?’ But Tobit said, ‘I want to be sure, brother, whose son you are and what your name is.’ 13He replied, ‘I am Azariah, the son of the great Hananiah, one of your relatives.’ 14Then Tobit said to him, ‘Welcome! God save you, brother. Do not feel bitter towards me, brother, because I wanted to be sure about your ancestry. It turns out that you are a kinsman, and of good and noble lineage. For I knew Hananiah and Nathan, the two sons of Shemeliah, and they used to go with me to Jerusalem and worshipped with me there, and were not led astray. Your kindred are good people; you come of good stock. Hearty welcome!’
 15 Then he added, ‘I will pay you a drachma a day as wages, as well as expenses for yourself and my son. So go with my son, 16and I will add something to your wages.’ Raphael answered, ‘I will go with him; so do not fear. We shall leave in good health and return to you in good health, because the way is safe.’ 17So Tobit said to him, ‘Blessings be upon you, brother.’
 Then he called his son and said to him, ‘Son, prepare supplies for the journey and set out with your brother. May God in heaven bring you safely there and return you in good health to me; and may his angel, my son, accompany you both for your safety.’
 Before he went out to start his journey, he kissed his father and mother. Tobit then said to him, ‘Have a safe journey.’
18 But his mother began to weep, and said to Tobit, ‘Why is it that you have sent my child away? Is he not the staff of our hand as he goes in and out before us?

New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Readings will be removed each week.

Non Scriptural Reading

A READING FROM THE CONFESSIONS OF ST AUGUSTINE
 O Light, Tobit saw you when despite the blindness of his carnal eyes he pointed out the path of life to his son, and strode unerringly ahead, borne by the feet of charity. Isaac saw you, though his bodily eyes were dimmed and closed by age, when true insight was granted him in blessing his sons, notwithstanding his inability to tell one from the other as he uttered his blessing. Jacob saw you when, likewise blinded by advanced age, he beheld by the radiant vision of his heart the tribes of the people that were to be, prefigured in his sons; and when, stretching out crossed hands in a gesture full of mystery, he laid them on his grandsons, Joseph’s children, not in the way indicated by their father, who saw only the externals, but as he himself judged to be right by the vision that guided him within. All these enjoyed the same Light, the Light that is one in itself and unites all who see and love it.
The case is different with earthly light, of which I was speaking. This imparts to the life of this world a seductive zest, dangerous to those whose love for it is blind. Yet once they have learned to praise you for light as well as for your other gifts, Creator God, O Lord of all, they take it up in a hymn to your glory, instead of being sapped by it in somnolence of spirit, and this is how I would wish to act. I resist alluring sights lest my feet, those feet with which I walk in your way, become entangled, and to you I lift the invisible eyes of my spirit that you may pluck my feet from the snare. I know that you will pluck them free again and again, for enmeshed they often are. I am repeatedly caught in the traps scattered on every side, but you will never fail to free me, for you neither grow drowsy nor fall asleep, who guard Israel.
How many things craftsmen have made, things without num­ber, employing their manifold skills and ingenuity on apparel, footwear, pottery, and artefacts of every conceivable kind, on pictures too, and various images; and how far they have in these matters exceeded what is reasonably necessary or useful, or serves some pious purpose! All of them increase the temptations to which our eyes are subject. People pursue outside themselves what they are making, but forsake the One within by whom they were made, and so destroy what they were made to be by driving it out of doors.
O my God, for me you are loveliness itself; yet for all these things too I sing a hymn and offer a sacrifice of praise to you who sanctify me, because the beautiful designs that are born in our minds and find expression through clever hands derive from that Beauty which transcends all minds, the Beauty to which my own mind aspires day and night.
St Augustine, Confessiones, 10.34 (CSEL 34:265-267); Word in Season VIII.

Notes
On occasion comments on the readings may refer to some of these:
Celebrating the Saints, Celebrating the Seasons: ed. Robert Attwell, Canterbury Press
Celebrating Sundays: ed.Stephen Holmes, Canterbury Press
Breen: Reflections on the Readings for Every Day of the Church's Year, Patrick J. Breen O.Carm., Columba Press, 2011
Faley: Reflections on the Weekday lectionary Readings, Roland J. Faley, Paulist Press 2010
Fernandez: In Conversation With God: Meditations for each day of the year, Francis Fernandez, Scepter 2010 (8 vols)
Johnson: Benedictine Daily Prayer, ed. Maxwell E. Johnson, the Columba Press, 2005
King: The New Testament: A Fresh Translation, Nicholas King, Kevin Mayhew 2003
Magnificat, monthly publication with daily readings, a short form of Morning and Evening Prayer and meditations on art and culture and a daily reading from outside Scripture; subscriptions available here.
Marivoet: Liturgy Alive: Models of Celebration Weekdays; Redemptorist/Claretian 2003Rotelle: Augustine on the Sunday Gospel, Hohn E. Rotelle OSA, Augustinian Press 1998
The Additional Office Lectionary The two year cycle for the Office of Readings designed to accompany the Daily Eucharistic Lectionary; printed in the back of the CTS New Catholic Bible; RSV text readings available here.
Patristic Lectionary
From Pluscarden Abbey, edited by Fr Stephen Mark Holmes, based on A Word in Season, Augustinian Press; available here, and in the Lectionary folder of Company of Voices Resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.