Church of England Daily Prayer - Contemporay - Combined Prayer

Trinity Daily Prayer

A simple Liturgy of the Hours for singing available here.
Resources for the Liturgy stored at: Company of Voices Resources.

Saturday, 22 September 2012

Readings Sunday 23rd September 2012

Trinity 16
25th Sunday of the Year
Proper 20

Additional commemorations:
Maria de Borhorques, martyr, reformer in Spain, 1559

Daily Eucharistic Lectionary
These notes assume that the Daily Eucharistic and Sunday Lectionaries are used alongside the two year additional Office lectionary (for the Office of Readings) to provide three readings a day for use at Eucharist and Office.

Short text for the day:

Who is wise and understanding among you?

Daily Reflections from Creighton University for today here.
Liturgy Alive prayers and readings here.


Penitential rite from Liturgy Alive:

Let us ask forgiveness from the Lord
that too often we are self-satisfied
and expect very little from him.
(PAUSE)

Lord Jesus, you loved little children
and you blessed them:
Lord, have mercy. R/ Lord, have mercy.

Jesus Christ, you tell us
that unless we become open and receptive like children
we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven:
Christ, have mercy. R/ Christ, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, in little children
and in all that who are weak and fragile
we welcome you and your Father:
Lord, have mercy. R/ Lord, have mercy.

Have mercy on us, Lord,
forgive us our pretensions, pride and self-assurance
and lead us forward in hope to everlasting life. R/ Amen.

ICEL Scripture related prayer:

O God,
protector of the poor and defender of the just, in your kingdom the last become first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly exalted.

Give us wisdom from above,
that we may find in your servant Jesus
the pattern of true discipleship
and the grace to persevere in following him,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever. 

First Reading
Wisdom 1:16 - 2:1, 12-22 [Roman Rite: Wisdom 2:12, 17-20]


Wisdom 1:16 - 2:22

16 But the ungodly by their words and deeds summoned death;
considering him a friend, they pined away
and made a covenant with him,
because they are fit to belong to his company.
[2For they reasoned unsoundly, saying to themselves,
‘Short and sorrowful is our life,
and there is no remedy when a life comes to its end,
and no one has been known to return from Hades.
2 For we were born by mere chance,
and hereafter we shall be as though we had never been,
for the breath in our nostrils is smoke,
and reason is a spark kindled by the beating of our hearts;
3 when it is extinguished, the body will turn to ashes,
and the spirit will dissolve like empty air.
4 Our name will be forgotten in time,
and no one will remember our works;
our life will pass away like the traces of a cloud,
and be scattered like mist
that is chased by the rays of the sun
and overcome by its heat.
5 For our allotted time is the passing of a shadow,
and there is no return from our death,
because it is sealed up and no one turns back.
6 ‘Come, therefore, let us enjoy the good things that exist,
and make use of the creation to the full as in youth.
7 Let us take our fill of costly wine and perfumes,
and let no flower of spring pass us by.
8 Let us crown ourselves with rosebuds before they wither.
9 Let none of us fail to share in our revelry;
everywhere let us leave signs of enjoyment,
because this is our portion, and this our lot.
10 Let us oppress the righteous poor man;
let us not spare the widow
or regard the grey hairs of the aged.
11 But let our might be our law of right,
for what is weak proves itself to be useless.]
 12 ‘Let us lie in wait for the righteous man,
because he is inconvenient to us and opposes our actions;
he reproaches us for sins against the law,
and accuses us of sins against our training.
13 He professes to have knowledge of God,
and calls himself a child of the Lord.
14 He became to us a reproof of our thoughts;
15 the very sight of him is a burden to us,
because his manner of life is unlike that of others,
and his ways are strange.
16 We are considered by him as something base,
and he avoids our ways as unclean;
he calls the last end of the righteous happy,
and boasts that God is his father.
17 Let us see if his words are true,
and let us test what will happen at the end of his life;
18 for if the righteous man is God’s child, he will help him,
and will deliver him from the hand of his adversaries.
19 Let us test him with insult and torture,
so that we may find out how gentle he is,
and make trial of his forbearance.
20 Let us condemn him to a shameful death,
for, according to what he says, he will be protected.’
21 Thus they reasoned, but they were led astray,
for their wickedness blinded them,
22 and they did not know the secret purposes of God,
nor hoped for the wages of holiness,
nor discerned the prize for blameless souls;


James 3:13 - 4:3, 7-8 [Roman Rite: James 3:16 - 4:3]


James 3:13 - 4:8
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Show by your good life that your works are done with gentleness born of wisdom. 14But if you have bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not be boastful and false to the truth. 15Such wisdom does not come down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, devilish. 16For where there is envy and selfish ambition, there will also be disorder and wickedness of every kind. 17But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy. 18And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace for those who make peace.
4Those conflicts and disputes among you, where do they come from? Do they not come from your cravings that are at war within you? 2You want something and do not have it; so you commit murder. And you covet something and cannot obtain it; so you engage in disputes and conflicts. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, in order to spend what you get on your pleasures. [4Adulterers! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5Or do you suppose that it is for nothing that the scripture says, ‘God yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us’? 6But he gives all the more grace; therefore it says,
‘God opposes the proud,
   but gives grace to the humble.’]
7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Psalm 54

Gospel

Mark 9: 30-37

In v.31 Mark gives us the second of three predictions he has inserted in his gospel like markers on the way to the Cross (8.31; 9.31; 10.32-24).  


30 They went on from there and passed through Galilee. He did not want anyone to know it; 31for he was teaching his disciples, saying to them, ‘The Son of Man is to be betrayed into human hands, and they will kill him, and three days after being killed, he will rise again.’ 32But they did not understand what he was saying and were afraid to ask him.
33 Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the way?’ 34But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. 35He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, ‘Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all.’ 36Then he took a little child and put it among them; and taking it in his arms, he said to them, 37‘Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.’

This Litany of Humilty by Cardinal Merry du Val is very powerful in light of today's Gospel:


From the desire of being esteemed,Deliver me,
O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, hear me.

From the desire of being loved, Deliver me,

From the desire of being extolled,  Deliver me,

From the desire of being honored,Deliver me,

From the desire of being praised, Deliver me,

From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me,

From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me,

From the desire of being approved, Deliver me,

From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me,

From the fear of being despised, Deliver me,

From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me,

From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me,

From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me,

From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me,

From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me,

From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me,

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That, in the opinion of the world,others may increase and I may decrease,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be chosen and I set aside,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be praised and I go unnoticed,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be preferred to me in everything,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.


Additional Office Lectionary

Tobit 1:1 - 2:1

1This book tells the story of Tobit son of Tobiel son of Hananiel son of Aduel son of Gabael son of Raphael of the descendants of Asiel, of the tribe of Naphtali, 2who in the days of King Shalmaneser of the Assyrians was taken into captivity from Thisbe, which is to the south of Kedesh Naphtali in Upper Galilee, above Asher towards the west, and north of Phogor.
3 I, Tobit, walked in the ways of truth and righteousness all the days of my life. I performed many acts of charity for my kindred and my people who had gone with me in exile to Nineveh in the land of the Assyrians. 4When I was in my own country, in the land of Israel, while I was still a young man, the whole tribe of my ancestor Naphtali deserted the house of David and Jerusalem. This city had been chosen from among all the tribes of Israel, where all the tribes of Israel should offer sacrifice and where the temple, the dwelling of God, had been consecrated and established for all generations for ever.
5 All my kindred and our ancestral house of Naphtali sacrificed to the calf that King Jeroboam of Israel had erected in Dan and on all the mountains of Galilee. 6But I alone went often to Jerusalem for the festivals, as it is prescribed for all Israel by an everlasting decree. I would hurry off to Jerusalem with the first fruits of the crops and the firstlings of the flock, the tithes of the cattle, and the first shearings of the sheep. 7I would give these to the priests, the sons of Aaron, at the altar; likewise the tenth of the grain, wine, olive oil, pomegranates, figs, and the rest of the fruits to the sons of Levi who ministered at Jerusalem. Also, for six years I would save up a second tenth in money and go and distribute it in Jerusalem. 8A third tenth I would give to the orphans and widows and to the converts who had attached themselves to Israel. I would bring it and give it to them in the third year, and we would eat it according to the ordinance decreed concerning it in the law of Moses and according to the instructions of Deborah, the mother of my father Tobiel, for my father had died and left me an orphan. 9When I became a man I married a woman, a member of our own family, and by her I became the father of a son whom I named Tobias.
10 After I was carried away captive to Assyria and came as a captive to Nineveh, everyone of my kindred and my people ate the food of the Gentiles, 11but I kept myself from eating the food of the Gentiles. 12Because I was mindful of God with all my heart, 13the Most High gave me favour and good standing with Shalmaneser, and I used to buy everything he needed. 14Until his death I used to go into Media, and buy for him there. While in the country of Media I left bags of silver worth ten talents in trust with Gabael, the brother of Gabri. 15But when Shalmaneser died, and his son Sennacherib reigned in his place, the highways into Media became unsafe and I could no longer go there.
16 In the days of Shalmaneser I performed many acts of charity to my kindred, those of my tribe. 17I would give my food to the hungry and my clothing to the naked; and if I saw the dead body of any of my people thrown out behind the wall of Nineveh, I would bury it. 18I also buried any whom King Sennacherib put to death when he came fleeing from Judea in those days of judgement that the king of heaven executed upon him because of his blasphemies. For in his anger he put to death many Israelites; but I would secretly remove the bodies and bury them. So when Sennacherib looked for them he could not find them. 19Then one of the Ninevites went and informed the king about me, that I was burying them; so I hid myself. But when I realized that the king knew about me and that I was being searched for to be put to death, I was afraid and ran away. 20Then all my property was confiscated; nothing was left to me that was not taken into the royal treasury, except my wife Anna and my son Tobias.
21 But not forty days passed before two of Sennacherib’s sons killed him, and they fled to the mountains of Ararat, and his son Esar-haddon reigned after him. He appointed Ahikar, the son of my brother Hanael over all the accounts of his kingdom, and he had authority over the entire administration. 22Ahikar interceded for me, and I returned to Nineveh. Now Ahikar was chief cupbearer, keeper of the signet, and in charge of administration of the accounts under King Sennacherib of Assyria; so Esar-haddon reappointed him. He was my nephew and so a close relative.
2Then during the reign of Esar-haddon I returned home, and my wife Anna and my son Tobias were restored to me. At our festival of Pentecost, which is the sacred festival of weeks, a good dinner was prepared for me and I reclined to eat.
New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Readings will be removed each week.


Non Scriptural Reading

A READING FROM THE COMMENTARY ON TOBIT BY ST BEDE
The book of the holy father Tobit is clearly of saving benefit to its readers even in its superficial meaning inasmuch as it abounds in both the noblest examples and the noblest counsels for moral conduct, and anyone who knows how to interpret it historically and allegorically can see that its inner meaning excels the mere letter as much as the fruit excels the leaves. For if it is understood in the spiritual sense it is found to contain within it the greatest mysteries of Christ and the Church.
Indeed Tobit was taken captive in the days of Shalmaneser king of the Assyrians but when he was in captivity he did not forsake the way of truth. This captivity of the hands of the king of the Assyrians denotes the captivity of the human race whereby, through the king of all the perverse, that is, the devil, it was banished from the abode of its heavenly homeland and deported to its sojourn in this exile.
When Tobit became a man he took as his wife Anna from his own tribe. And this people, after they had grown up and increased in Egypt, espoused the Synagogue which had been established by Moses with legal ceremonies. By her he begot a son and gave him his own name because he learnt that Christ was to be born of his own kin as Moses had said: Your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from among your brethren; to him you shall listen; and the Lord said to David: One of the fruit of your womb I will set upon my throne. Then he gave him his own name believing and confessing what the Father says of him: And I will make him the first-born, as he says of the people themselves, Israel is my first-born son.
He taught him from his infancy to fear God and refrain from all sin, believing and confessing that he would commit no sin and that no deceit would be found on his lips but that the spirit of the fear of the Lord would fill him. To Gabael his fellow-kinsman who was in need, Tobit gave ten silver talents in trust. And the people of God entrusted to the Gentiles through the seventy translators the knowledge of the divine law which is contained in the decalogue in order thereby to free them from the indigence of unbelief; but they gave it in trust, that is, on condition that it be repaid after the themselves got wealthy or the one who had given it asked it back.
On the other hand, the Gentiles received the word of God from the people of Israel through the medium of translation because now after the Lord’s incarnation they also understand it spiritually and work at acquiring the riches of the virtues; but they pay back the creditor when they receive into the unity of the Church Jews who believe at the end of the world; and, as well as entrusting to them the mysteries of Christ for their salvation, the also unlock for them the secrets of the Scriptures.
St Bede, Comm. in Tob. 1-3; (1997), tr. S. Connolly.

Notes
On occasion comments on the readings may refer to some of these:
Celebrating the Saints, Celebrating the Seasons: ed. Robert Attwell, Canterbury Press
Celebrating Sundays: ed.Stephen Holmes, Canterbury Press
Breen: Reflections on the Readings for Every Day of the Church's Year, Patrick J. Breen O.Carm., Columba Press, 2011
Faley: Reflections on the Weekday lectionary Readings, Roland J. Faley, Paulist Press 2010
Fernandez: In Conversation With God: Meditations for each day of the year, Francis Fernandez, Scepter 2010 (8 vols)
Johnson: Benedictine Daily Prayer, ed. Maxwell E. Johnson, the Columba Press, 2005
King: The New Testament: A Fresh Translation, Nicholas King, Kevin Mayhew 2003
Magnificat, monthly publication with daily readings, a short form of Morning and Evening Prayer and meditations on art and culture and a daily reading from outside Scripture; subscriptions available here.
Marivoet: Liturgy Alive: Models of Celebration Weekdays; Redemptorist/Claretian 2003Rotelle: Augustine on the Sunday Gospel, Hohn E. Rotelle OSA, Augustinian Press 1998
The Additional Office Lectionary The two year cycle for the Office of Readings designed to accompany the Daily Eucharistic Lectionary; printed in the back of the CTS New Catholic Bible; RSV text readings available here.
Patristic Lectionary
From Pluscarden Abbey, edited by Fr Stephen Mark Holmes, based on A Word in Season, Augustinian Press; available here, and in the Lectionary folder of Company of Voices Resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.