Church of England Daily Prayer - Contemporay - Combined Prayer

Trinity Daily Prayer

A simple Liturgy of the Hours for singing available here.
Resources for the Liturgy stored at: Company of Voices Resources.

Friday, 28 September 2012

Readings Saturday 29th September

Saints Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, Archangels
 
Daily Eucharistic Lectionary
These notes assume that the Daily Eucharistic Lectionary is used alongside the two year additional Office lectionary (for the Office of Readings) to provide three readings a day for use at Eucharist and Office.

Short text for the day:
Do not fear, greatly beloved, you are safe.
Daily Reflections from Creighton University for today here.
Liturgy Alive prayers and readings here.

First Reading
Genesis 28:10-17 Roman Rite Daniel 7:9-10


Jacob left Beer-sheba and went towards Haran. 11He came to a certain place and stayed there for the night, because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place. 12And he dreamed that there was a ladder* set up on the earth, the top of it reaching to heaven; and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. 13And the Lord stood beside him* and said, ‘I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring; 14and your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south; and all the families of the earth shall be blessed* in you and in your offspring. 15Know that I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.’ 16Then Jacob woke from his sleep and said, ‘Surely the Lord is in this place—and I did not know it!’ 17And he was afraid, and said, ‘How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.’
Psalm 103  Roman Rite 138

Second Reading
Rev 12: 7-12

And war broke out in heaven; Michael and his angels fought against the dragon. The dragon and his angels fought back, 8but they were defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. 9The great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.
10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, proclaiming,
‘Now have come the salvation and the power
and the kingdom of our God
and the authority of his Messiah,*
for the accuser of our comrades* has been thrown down,
who accuses them day and night before our God.
11 But they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony,
for they did not cling to life even in the face of death.
12 Rejoice then, you heavens
and those who dwell in them!
But woe to the earth and the sea,
for the devil has come down to you
with great wrath,
because he knows that his time is short!’
Gospel
John 1: 47-51
47When Jesus saw Nathanael coming towards him, he said of him, ‘Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!’ 48Nathanael asked him, ‘Where did you come to know me?’ Jesus answered, ‘I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you.’ 49Nathanael replied, ‘Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!’ 50Jesus answered, ‘Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these.’ 51And he said to him, ‘Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.’


 
Additional Office Lectionary
The Office of Readings lection is Revelations 12:1-17 which includes the Mass reading for today so from the Common Worship lectionary:

Daniel 10: 4-end
At that time I, Daniel, had been mourning for three weeks. 3I had eaten no rich food, no meat or wine had entered my mouth, and I had not anointed myself at all, for the full three weeks. 4On the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was standing on the bank of the great river (that is, the Tigris), 5I looked up and saw a man clothed in linen, with a belt of gold from Uphaz around his waist. 6His body was like beryl, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and the sound of his words like the roar of a multitude. 7I, Daniel, alone saw the vision; the people who were with me did not see the vision, though a great trembling fell upon them, and they fled and hid themselves. 8So I was left alone to see this great vision. My strength left me, and my complexion grew deathly pale, and I retained no strength. 9Then I heard the sound of his words; and when I heard the sound of his words, I fell into a trance, face to the ground.

10 But then a hand touched me and roused me to my hands and knees. 11He said to me, ‘Daniel, greatly beloved, pay attention to the words that I am going to speak to you. Stand on your feet, for I have now been sent to you.’ So while he was speaking this word to me, I stood up trembling. 12He said to me, ‘Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words. 13But the prince of the kingdom of Persia opposed me for twenty-one days. So Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, and I left him there with the prince of the kingdom of Persia,* 14and have come to help you understand what is to happen to your people at the end of days. For there is a further vision for those days.’
15 While he was speaking these words to me, I turned my face towards the ground and was speechless. 16Then one in human form touched my lips, and I opened my mouth to speak, and said to the one who stood before me, ‘My lord, because of the vision such pains have come upon me that I retain no strength. 17How can my lord’s servant talk with my lord? For I am shaking,* no strength remains in me, and no breath is left in me.’
18 Again one in human form touched me and strengthened me. 19He said, ‘Do not fear, greatly beloved, you are safe. Be strong and courageous!’ When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, ‘Let my lord speak, for you have strengthened me.’ 20Then he said, ‘Do you know why I have come to you? Now I must return to fight against the prince of Persia, and when I am through with him, the prince of Greece will come. 21But I am to tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth. There is no one with me who contends against these princes except Michael, your prince.

New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Readings will be removed each week.

Non Scriptural Reading
Celebrating Seasons provides three readings, the third is an ancient Celtic poem which is rather interesting - I mark the book up as Years A/B/C and using them in the years of the lectionary cycle.
Here's the reading from benedictine Daily Prayer:

from Angels: Spirits, Magnificent and Mighty by Athanasius Recheis:
The angels of revelation are not demigods, like the angels of pagan religions, but servants of the one true God. There may be similarities too, and direct influences from, other religions, but this in no way argues against taking the biblical teaching of angels with all seriousness.
True biblical belief in angels can be no hindrance in our journey to God, it can only be  a help. belief in angels makes us more aware of God's providential love, of God's greatness and glory. Never does an angel intrude between God and us. Angels are completely devoted to god, completely amenable to the divine holy will. they never act on their own, never transgress the limits of their instructions from on high. All their activity is found in the performance of divine commands. When they speak, their words ask faith in God and obedience to god. And when we are moved to thank them, they point us to God and say; Worship God! So spoke the archangel Raphael to Tobias when the latter sought to thank him for his kind assistance, for the archangel said; Praise god, and give God thanks in the presence of all the living.
the Bible portrays angels in a twofold function: they stand before God, singing God's praises; and they are sent into the world, especially to certain individuals, as messengers and executors of God's decrees. Many pages of the Bible testify to the ministerial role of angels in the long preparation of human redemption. They were created through the Son of god - through him, in him, and for him. though created good, some of them rebelled against god and are condemned to eternal punishment. their activity reveals them as immaterial beings, powerful and magnificent. In the scale of life they are closer to god than humans, transecnding the material universe. three of them, of highest excellence, the Bible mentions by name: Michael, Gabriel and Raphael.
Divine revelation presents angels as beings endowed with unique personalities but completely subservient to god and to the missions assigned to them. Angels are created reflections of the triume God. they mirror, as far as creatures can, God's love, God's might, God's life. they are the hands which God extends to uphold us, the wings God spreads to shield us.

Notes

On occasion comments on the readings may refer to some of these:
Celebrating the Saints, Celebrating the Seasons: ed. Robert Attwell, Canterbury Press
Celebrating Sundays: ed.Stephen Holmes, Canterbury Press
Breen: Reflections on the Readings for Every Day of the Church's Year, Patrick J. Breen O.Carm., Columba Press, 2011
Faley: Reflections on the Weekday lectionary Readings, Roland J. Faley, Paulist Press 2010
Fernandez: In Conversation With God: Meditations for each day of the year, Francis Fernandez, Scepter 2010 (8 vols)
Johnson: Benedictine Daily Prayer, ed. Maxwell E. Johnson, the Columba Press, 2005
King: The New Testament: A Fresh Translation, Nicholas King, Kevin Mayhew 2003
Magnificat, monthly publication with daily readings, a short form of Morning and Evening Prayer and meditations on art and culture and a daily reading from outside Scripture; subscriptions available here.
Marivoet: Liturgy Alive: Models of Celebration Weekdays; Redemptorist/Claretian 2003Rotelle: Augustine on the Sunday Gospel, Hohn E. Rotelle OSA, Augustinian Press 1998
The Additional Office Lectionary The two year cycle for the Office of Readings designed to accompany the Daily Eucharistic Lectionary; printed in the back of the CTS New Catholic Bible; RSV text readings available here.
Patristic Lectionary
From Pluscarden Abbey, edited by Fr Stephen Mark Holmes, based on A Word in Season, Augustinian Press; available here, and in the Lectionary folder of Company of Voices Resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.